Saturday, December 4, 2010

What the MBA has taught me (academically)

Things the MBA has taught me that I didn't really know, or couldn't learn from books.

n o t h i n g.... oh wait, except Managerial Thinking (which I liked)


Maybe it's because it's core semester, but there's nothing really fantastic to learn. Let's go through the courses together...

1. Accounting - ok, yeah, good to know the basic understanding of what's going on. But nothing you wouldn't be able to learn from picking up a book or working in finance. If I wish they taught anything, it would be that they had spent a lot more time on dissecting balance sheets/income statements and cashflow! Especially cashflow.

2. Data, models and decisions (statistics in a nutshell - Nope, nothing of interest here. Maybe if you're going into hardcore finance, it might be interesting... but really, if I were a manager and wanted to calculate some statistics, I would just get.. a statistician..

3. Economics - mmm.. on the fence here, leaning towards.. boring. Gives you a good perspective of how to look at things and tie them in. But in terms of value of it as an academic knowledge, not really. I do like it though, maybe it's because I've done it before and have always found it interesting.

4. Leadership - interesting in the beginning, interesting to learn how other people think. But beyond that, I don't think I'm going to become a CEO or be a good CEO just by attending this class.

5. Ethics - this has got to be the single biggest waste of time. It's such a fucking was of time, I have no idea how to describe it. If I had spent my time transcribing the movie, Titanic from english into chinese, I would have had more fun.

6. Managerial thinking - this was an interesting class. I think I actually did learn some fun stuff on how to think from this class. Worth attending, highly stressful because of the journals, but it was fun. It made me do things and think.


Second half

7. Organizational Behaviour - it's borderline, not terribly interesting. Wasted a whole fucking class talking about fucking gender discrimination. Wtf, such a fucking waste of my fucking time. How long are people going to be beating off to gender discrimination and such.

8. Managerial communications - learn how to write memos. I kid you not, a fucking class on how to write a fucking memo. What kind of idiot doesn't know how to write a memo. And memos differ from industry to industry anyway. And what's more, a fucking group presentation on the fucking memo proposal that you write. Fuck..


Why am I doing an MBA?


---

I'm falling, I need you
I hear you calling out my name
I'm going insane

I touch you, your body
It makes me feel like I'm in ecstacy
Oh can't you see...

I need you..
I'm falling...
I need you...

I need you..
Come save me..
I need you...

Inverse & Orbit1 feat. Sally - I need you (Ultravibes remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter