Friday, May 11, 2012

Moving on

Now that the thesis defense is complete, and most of the administrative work has been done, everybody is getting ready to move on with life - be it to their new jobs in Beijing (not that many international students were able to get a good job) or to another country (especially to their home countries). But before that, a fair number of my classmates have decided to go on holidays, just to travel while they can afford the time before reality kicks in.

As for myself, I've opted to stay in Beijing as long as possible before I move on to start my new job with a start-up out of China. Unfortunately, I don't really want say much more about where I'm heading or what exactly I'll be doing except it's to do with online business development.

Truth be told, when I first heard about the job, it wasn't on the top of my list. While the business development factor was there, I wasn't sure about whether I wanted to join the online community. But after much discussion and thought, I do realize that I would like to be involved with the online space in some way or another - if not coding (which I can't do) then definitely with business development and such. The future continues to be moving towards online as it has for the past 20 years, and I feel that this is really an opportunity for me to be involved with the online space once again.

Like most of my classmates that have found jobs now, I found out about the job through a good friend who then recommended me for it. I am beginning to doubt the effectiveness of finding a job through websites (advertisements - be it Ushi, Linkedin or otherwise), the career development center and recruitment events. While there are some people who have been successful in doing so, a good number of people fail at securing a job through those channels. I would say that, another effective way is to do an internship, then parlay that into a full time offer when you graduate. Searching for a job that's advertised publicly is like a crap shoot.

Do I have much more to say? I don't really think so. The past 2 years have been an intense roller coaster ride, more in terms about learning about China, the language and the relationships I've had. Academicaly, Tsinghua University's MBA program is not significantly worse than that of other universities.

In terms of opportunities, China will be facing economic difficulties over the next 6 months onwards, hopefully, there will not be another economic crisis or the world as a whole will suffer. People will lose jobs regardless of where they are and families will suffer. If you're planning to come to the China party now, it's getting late, but for those who are willing to put it on the line, immerse themselves and go the extra mile, it's still a party worth attending. But don't come here with a sense of entitlement, because you're going to be sorely disappointed if that's the way.

In the end, I guess the question is, was it worth it? And the answer to me, is yes it was.


To those who followed my life for two years, thank you. I appreciate you.

To those who asked me questions, thank you. I hope you found what you were looking for.

To those who were my friends, thank you. I hope I was good enough a friend to you too.

To Beijing and China that were my home for two years, thank you. I couldn't have asked more for a home.

I would list down the people that I would like to thank, who have made my life memorable for the past two years, but that's just too long a list. If you ever happen to read this blog, and think you know who I am, I hope you had just a good a time as I did and think of me kindly.


Will I continue to blog after this? Most probably so. But very likely on another blog that I'll link to this. I seem to enjoy blogging quite a bit :)

Good night and good bye!!


-----

Aggey - I'll find you my way

Download

Flo Rida - Whistle (DJ Shamoon)

Re-Con - Calling

Hixxy, Dave Castellano and Fat Steve - Falling from the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter